Friday, April 17, 2009

The Parent's Lexicon

I thought I might combine my love of language with my experiences as a mom to create this much-needed lexicon.




The Parent's Lexicon


  1. "We'll see."

    This means, "Stop pestering me about it and maybe the answer won't be 'No!' "
  2. "Maybe."

    This generally means, "No, but I don't feel like committing to a definite answer yet because I want to forestall the whining and tantrums."

  3. "Because I said so, that's why!"

    We trot out this gem for one of two reasons. Some parents feel that they should always have a well-reasoned answer for their kids' every complaint demand for an explanation, and quite often, they have no reasonable rationalization behind what they're telling their spawn to do/not do. When we consider that most parents don't feel like engaging in an extended debate on the issue, you can see how they might fall back on the time-honored "BISS,TW!"

    Others among us simply harbor secret desires of world domination.
  4. "Soon."

    When I say this, like in answer to, "Mommy, when can we go back to the zoo?" I usually mean, "Hopefully never again, and I hope that by saying 'Oh, soon, honey' I can buy some time before you ask me again."
  5. "What has the cat ever done to you?"

    I mean, "Leave the animal alone before he takes out your jugular with his claws!" or "Leave the animal alone or I'll send him right back to the shelter!" <--Of course I would never actually do that, I love the furry little animal, but it is a tempting thought on those days when the kids and cat keep pestering one another.
  6. "If you kids don't knock that off, I'm going to sell you on eBay!"


    This means "Knock it off right now."

    I tell my kids this all the time. My kids know that I won't actually sell them on eBay, mostly because I'm pretty sure it's illegal, but they do think it's funny and for some reason, humor often works to keep them in line.

    I did get a really dirty look from another mom one time I said this in public - Wegman's I think - and I was astounded that someone might have thought that I'd really do this.
  7. "I am going to count to three!"

    This is the best thing ever. It is sort of adapted from "3-2-1-Magic." What you do is, tell them that you will count to three and if they don't stop what they're doing/do what you're asking them do by the time you say "three," then BY GOD there will be consequences.
    For example: Your kid is meandering about the house aimlessly, after having made a merry mess on the living room floor with a ream of computer paper, crayons and glitter glue. You have told her to pick her stuff up, she does not listen; in fact, it seems that she is pointedly ignoring you! Once it reaches critical mass and you can't bear the idea of picking it up after her, you say, "Kid, I am going to count to three and you had better get to picking this mess up or I will start throwing all of this stuff out!"

    Crucial Hint: Be strong and follow through. If you say that you will toss stuff out but cave, you have just undermined your authority. The little munchkins will never take you seriously. Believe me, all it takes is one incident with the Black Hefty Garbage Bag of Doom and your kids will be true believers. Then all you have to do is say, "I think it's time for the Black Hefty Garbage Bag of Doom," and they'll be running up the stairs with toys in hand.



Do you have any crucial translations to add? Let me know!

Thanks for reading, more entries to come!

3 comments:

Sarah from Syracuse Modeling said...

This is really funny because your definitions are just about the same as mine. I just never thought about them before. Of course my ebay threat is more like "knock it off right now or I'm going to rip your arm out of the socket and beat you with the bloody stump" but hey, it has the same result.

Babs said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Babs said...

"knock it off right now or I'm going to rip your arm out of the socket and beat you with the bloody stump"


Oh my god... lmao

On a few occasions after she's discarded yet ANOTHER plate of food, I've told my picky eater that I will never, ever feed her again. lol