Thursday, September 9, 2004

The Deed is Done

My first baby is officially a Kindergartener. I think I held up pretty well. Watching her walk down the sidewalk in her brand-new school clothes, stiff leather shoes and over-large Hello Kitty packback tugged at my heart. The backpack was so big I could probably stuff my younger daughter Lucy, now 21 months old, into it with room for the requisite school supplies. Natalie looked so little and defenseless, yet so proud of her new status as a Big Girl.

Although I did not cry, as I had feared I might, I was feeling wistful and sad as I walked back from dropping her off at school. I had hoped for a tiny show of trepidation on her part- proof that she still needs her Mommy, but no, not my fearless daughter. Her words to me after I kissed her good-bye? "Go home, Mommy!"

No comments: